The Spectre was a species of malevolent creature which fed on Dust.
Spectres came from the void between worlds in the multiverse. Each time Æsahættr, the Subtle Knife, was used to cut a window, a spectre was created. When Lord Asriel harnessed the energy released with the intercision of Roger Parslow to create a bridge to the world of Cittàgazze, a great many spectres were created.
- "In some lights they were hardly there at all, just visible as a drifting quality in the light, a rhythmic evanescence, like veils of transparency turning before a mirror."
- —The appearance of the spectres[src]
Spectres were invisible to prepubescent children. To adults, they appeared as shimmers in their air which moved with malevolence.
Spectres fed on Dust by attacking post-pubescent humans and eating their soul, leaving them as a mindless shell. If an external dæmon was attacked, they appeared to perform the same process much more slowly. Humans who had undergone intercision were immune to spectres.
Spectres were originally earthbound, until Marisa Coulter taught them to fly.
Defence against spectresEdit
When travelling, all human groups in the world of Cittàgazze were required by law to contain a man and woman on horseback to flee in case of a spectre attack, to later return and look after the children.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Philip Pullman has said that spectres were his way of talking about mental states such as depression and self-hatred.
- It is quite possible that the Windsuckers that Tony Costa spoke to Lyra Silvertongue about are actually spectres.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Philip Pullman - Questions Frequently Asked (Archived 23rd Aug 2015)
- ↑ Northern Lights, Chapter 6
|Races and Species|
|Humans • Dæmons • Witches • Panserbjørne • Angels • Spectres • Gallivespians • Mulefa • Harpies •|